Do you want to go to an online casino to enjoy the online version of poker? Online poker is a pretty good version of the game simply because new players will not be intimidated by others, telling other players what possible card combinations they have that might influence the entire game.
Winning the online poker is easy and although some rules of the real poker game may not be applicable, most of it is.
In this article, I will cover the basics of online poker that you need to know before you start playing.
The basic premise of a poker game is that you are dealt with some cards at the beginning followed by a round of betting. After consecutive rounds of betting, you should come up with your own 5-card hand. After every player gets the chance to craft their own card combinations, then the showdown will commence. This is the stage of the game where players are asked to reveal their cards to the others and the one with the better card combination wins the game.
It is best that you study and familiarize yourself with the different poker hand rankings. Always remember that the royal flush is the best possible card combination (and also the rarest that can happen) while the high card is the worst.
In poker, there are different positions that you should always know about. These are the early, middle, and late positions. They are called as such because these positions will either make the first move (early) and the last move (late).
For example, the small and big blinds are all in the early position and they are the ones that will make the first move while the others wait. This is the most disadvantageous position simply because their moves can help telegraph to the others what possible hand combinations they have. The late position is desirable because players in the late positions already know what others have decided to do.
The Things You Can Do on Every Betting Round
At the start of the game, all players will be dealt with their initial cards followed by a round of betting. Every round of betting will have the player decide how they would proceed. Here are the things that you can do:
- Call- This move is done after the other players have made their bets on the current round. If you are the one who initiated the call, you will have to match the highest bet that was made by the other players
- Check- This is where nobody makes bets. The player who did the check passes the action to others in a clockwise fashion. Once everyone has made their moves (considering that all the other players have checked), then the game proceeds to the next round with all players intact
- Bet- This is where a player places a bet (of any value) during the current round. If someone decides to call, they would have to match the same value bet to stay in the game
- Raise- The player who would like to raise will have to surpass the highest bet that was made. The other players, then, would have to match the raise, otherwise, they are out of the game
- Fold- This is where the player decides to forfeit, thus booting himself/herself out of the game.